Wednesday, April 27, 2016

NGN FAVORITES: WRESTLING BACK STABS

With WWE Payback approaching, I can't help but get the vibe that there will be a swerve, a rouse, a back stab. I can only pinpoint it to the WWE World Heavyweight Championship match between Roman Reigns and AJ Styles. Beyond that I can't get exactly how it will play out. Either AJ or Roman get screwed over, and either by The Balor Club or The Authority. Is AJ in the group or not? Will the Balor Club be apart of The Authority and screw either? I love how that even though it became very obvious Finn Balor is being promoted to the main roster, but we don't know exactly how everything will play out. So, that brings me to the point of this. Which is my favorite back stabs in sports entertainment history. Some were obvious but played out well, or they were total shockers at the time. Here they are...
Shawn Michaels And Marty Jannetty
It is one of if not the most referenced back stabs in wrestling history. Rightfully so, and just getting it out of the way haha I was a child when it all went down on The Barber Shop, so it had that much more impact given my fresh, innocent brain haha Even then the build up was clear with Shawn showing signs during matches. But, again with an innocent brain I thought they would mend fences and rock on, or at least shake hands and part ways. Some Sweet Chin Music and a broken pane of glass later, and history was made. Given HBK's Hall Of Fame career and the WWE Network, it will likely live on forever....well until future generations "forget" or ignore past generations haha

Triple H And Shawn Michaels
It had kind of happened during his hiatus with D-X turning on HBK, but upon his return it had shock value. The WWE version of the nWo, which included HBK and teased of Trips joining, had imploded. Hall had his issues at the time, Nash tore a quad, it just fell apart with nobody to be blamed really. However, just like during the Wars WWE had a longer lasing faction that rivaled the nWo, and we were quickly given a Degeneration X reunion with Shawn and Hunter starting it off with a in-ring promo. And just as quickly as we were given , it was taken away.  A kick to the gut, Pedigree delivered, back stab complete. It made for an amazing feud, which added to the Heart Break Kid becoming the Come Back Kid (despite those ugly brown tights for a minute). If Nash hadn't of torn the quad', curious as to how it all would have played out. Would Hunter have eventually joined nWo, or would there have been a nWo V D-X battle of sorts? We'll never know I guess.

Mr. Fuji And Demolition
In hindsight I can see it. Demolition was starting to get over a bit with fans. But, at that time I was a kid so I was oblivious to it really haha Adding that I hadn't really seen a heel turn on heels and join heels before. I had seen good turned bad with Andre, and even Bad News Brown turning on Bret Hart but that was to win a battle royal so it made sense. Seeing Mr. Fuji turn on Demolition and begin to manage the Powers Of Pain was fresh and unique for me way back when. Bad turning on bad, and joining bad to be more bad. There was enough bad's in there to quote Jacko haha

Paul Heyman And Brock Lesner
It happened at Survivor Series 2002. Lesner was still in his initial run as WWE Champion, and Big Show was being showcased as a legit unstoppable force. We didn't see it coming despite Heyman's pleas to Brock leading up to the match, and we also didn't expect there to be in my opinion Big Show's best run as WWE Champion to follow. Adding to the moment was also when the initial turn didn't result in a three-count on Lesner, meaning Heyman would have failed, but of course Show got the dub. It is something I am looking for now, but then I think no Heyman would mean Lesner was done for now (or for good). I would assume the person who Paul joins would be the next top guy in WWE.

There are some others, and I am sure there will be more. But, we shall save those for a later date. With WWE Payback next Sunday, I get the vibe we won't be waiting long for another back stab. Until then my fellow Wrestling Nerds, Stay Nerdy!

For more Wrestling, Comic Book, Movie, Television, and Video Game stuff! Head on over to Non-Geeky Nerd and check things out! Stay Nerdy!

No comments:

Post a Comment